When was the last time you thought about how you wash your hands? You’ve been doing it all of your life – but have you been hand washing correctly?
Did you know to wash your hands thoroughly, you'll need to take around 30 seconds to a minute, or roughly the time to sing "Happy Birthday" twice, to get them properly clean? You may not want to sing it out loud, but it's a handy reminder for you to take the time you need to wash your hands!
Good hand hygiene can significantly reduce the spread of harmful bacteria that can lead to diarrhoea, vomiting and other infections. Follow these 8 steps to perfect your hand washing technique.
Good hand washing technique
- Wet hands with clean warm running water
- Apply a small amount of soap - 2 pumps of dettol hand wash
- Rub your palms together, (away from the water)
- Rub your fingers and thumbs and bits in between
- Rub your nails on your palms
- Rub the back of each hand
- Rinse with clean running water
- Dry with a clean towel or paper towel.
With so much going on, it’s easy to forget about washing hands. So try to make it a routine so you get into the habit. Leave yourself a note, set a reminder on your phone, or write out this list until it sticks.