Your little one spends so much time sleeping that their sleep environment is very important. We’ll show you how to clean a cot mattress and keep it safe from bacteria and germs. Keep your baby healthy even while they sleep with tips on how to clean a cot mattress thoroughly and safely.
- Remove the cot mattress, cover, or any bedding. These can usually be thrown in the laundry and safely washed with detergent.
- Check for a care label on the mattress or find the manufacturer's site. This will help you figure out if it's okay to use cold/hot water or gentle detergents on the mattress.
- Vacuum the cot mattress to get rid of dust or dirt. Make sure to vacuum the sides and bottom as well as any crevices. Try an attachment to make this process more thorough.
- Scrub the mattress all over with warm water and a gentle detergent. Make sure you thoroughly wipe the detergent from the cot mattress to ensure that no residue is left.
- Spritz the mattress all over with a fabric refresher like Dettol® Disinfectant Spray. This will ensure that mould and bacteria don't have a chance to latch onto the damp mattress. The Disinfecting Spray will also help remove any residual odours.
- Dry the cot mattress completely. Press dry towels into the surface to soak up moisture, then let the coy mattress air-dry in the sun, if possible, which has natural whitening properties. Make sure the mattress is totally dry before placing it back in the cot. Bacteria and mould love dampness, so protect your baby by ensuring that the cot mattress is fully dry.
Make up your baby's bed with bedding that fits the cot mattress snugly. Remove any extra blankets or stuffed animals before putting them to bed. Both you and your baby can rest easy now that you know how to clean a cot mattress!